MIA: Subjects: War:
Marxism & War
Writings of Marxists on Imperialist War, Military Science, Revolutionary War, Insurrection and Guerilla Warfare.
See the definition of Guerilla Warfare in the M.I.A. Encyclopedia.
Marx and Engels
Guerilla Warfare in Spain, 1809, Marx 1854.
Engels' Military Writings, 1850-1887.
Letters on War and Military Science, Marx and Engels 1851-1863.
Speeches by Marx:
- Attitude of The International to the League of Peace & Freedom;
- First, Second and Third Address On the Franco-Prussian War.
The Art Of Insurrection and Revolutionary War
Trotsky's Military Writings:
On Street Fighting:
- Instructions for an Armed Insurrection, Auguste Blanqui 1866;
- Mini-manual of the Urban Guerrilla, Carlos Marighella, 1969.
By proponents of guerilla warfare:
- On Guerrilla Warfare, Mao Zedong 1937;
- Resisting the Japanese Invasion, Mao Zedong July 1937;
- Interview with James Bertram , Mao Zedong October 1937;
- The Situation and Tasks in the Anti-Japanese War, Mao Zedong November 1937;
- Strategy in Guerilla War Against Japan, Mao Zedong May 1938;
- On Protracted War, Mao Zedong May 1938;
- The Role of the Chinese Communist Party in the National War, Mao Zedong October 1938;
- War and Strategy, Mao Zedong November 1938;
- Interview on strategy of Cuban Revolution, Che Guevara, 1959;
- Resolutions of the Fifth Congress of the Partido Revolucionario de los Trabajadores, [Argentine Section of the Fourth International—Ejército Revolucionario del Pueblo/ Revolutionary Army of the People] 1970-1973—Trotskyist supporters of armed struggle.
On “Urban Guerilla-ism” see also ...
- The Manouchian Group, The Resistance, 1940-45.
- The Pierre Goldman Affair, 1969-1979.
- The Slow Death of Andreas Baader, by Jean-Paul Sartre 1974
- Front de Libération du Québec, 1963-1971
- France and Algeria, Alain Krivine, 1956-1962
Criticism of the strategy of guerilla warfare:
- Guerrilla-ism and the regular army, Trotsky, 1919;
- Do We Need Guerrillas?, Trotsky, 1919;
- Overcoming guerrilla-ism, Trotsky, 1919;
- The Transitional Program Now, Nahuel Moreno, 1980;
- A Semi-feudal Alibi for Protracted War, Filemon Lagman, 1994;
- A New-Type Revolution of the Wrong Type, Lagman, 1994.
On Imperialist War
On the underlying causes and nature of Imperialist War:
- Imperialism, Highest Stage of Capitalism, Lenin 1916;
- War and the International, Trotsky 1914;
- Imperialism and the War, Kautsky 1914;
Sylvia Pankhurst on Imperialist War:
On Opposition to the First World War:
- The Zimmerwald Manifesto, 1915;
- Militarism and Anti-Militarism, Karl Liebknecht 1907;
- The Junius Pamphlet, Rosa Luxemburg 1915;
- The Main Enemy Is At Home, Karl Liebknecht 1915;
- Zimmerwald, John MacLean 1915;
- Speech from the Dock, John MacLean 1918;
Lenin on War, 1915-1917:
- Defeat of "Our" Government in the Imperialist War
- Socialism and War
- Socialist Revolution and Right of Nations to Self-Determination
- Opportunism and the Collapse of the Second International
- Principles Involved In the War Issue
- Bourgeois Pacifism and Aocialist Pacifism;
- War and Revolution
- The Russian Revolution And Civil War
Once more on Pacifism and Revolution, Trotsky 1926;
Trotsky on War, 1938-1940:
- Social-Patriotic Sophistry
- The USSR and the War
- Independence of the Ukraine and Sectarian Muddleheads
- Lenin and Imperialist War
- On Conscription
- Another Thought on Conscription
- Some Questions on American Problems
- The Kremlin's Role in the War
See also The Myth of Lenin’s “Revolutionary Defeatism”, Hal Draper 1953;
- Six Red Months in Russia, Louise Bryant 1918;
- Ten Days that Shook the World, John Reed 1919;
- History of the Russian Revolution, Trotsky;
- Barricades in Barcelona, Hugo Oehler 1937;
- History of the Paris Commune of 1871, Lissagaray 1876;
From the History Archive:
See also definition of Neocolonialism in the M.I.A. Encyclopedia.
- Letter from Marx to Engels 14th December 1867 on a Fenian bombing in London, and Engels' reply;
- The Irish Dynamiters, Eleanor Marx 1884;
- What is in common between Economism and Terrorism?, Lenin 1901;
- The Bankruptcy of Individual Terrorism, Trotsky, 1909;
- Terrorism and Communism, Kautsky 1919;
- Terrorism and Communism. A Reply to Kautsky, Trotsky 1920;
Classics on the Art of War