Written: Written in July, not before 17, 1920
Published: First published in 1965 in the Fifth Russian Edition of the Collected Works, Vol. 54. Printed from the manuscript.
Source: Lenin Collected Works, 2nd English Printing, Progress Publishers, 1971, Moscow, Volume 42, page 204a.
Translated: Bernard Isaacs
Transcription\Markup: D. Walters
Public Domain: Lenin Internet Archive (2003). You may freely copy, distribute, display and perform this work; as well as make derivative and commercial works. Please credit “Marxists Internet Archive” as your source. • README
1) Where to convene the congress?
2) Principles of elections (is the “four-pointer” permissible)?
3) Principles of constitution and economic policy?
4) Definition of official relations between Soviet Russia and the F.-E. Republic?
5) In view of non-compliance with C.C. directives by certain regions and the convocation in a few days’ time of a preliminary conference, it is necessary to have a new exact formulation of the foundations of the Far-Eastern Republic and a definition of its authority.
Anywhere. It is, Democracy permissible with slight privileges for Communists.
Obey the C.C., otherwise we’ll sack you.
 Lenin wrote these answers on a telegram dated July 17, 1920, from A. M. Krasnoshchokov, Foreign Minister of the Far-Eastern Republic and member of the Far-Eastern Bureau of the C.C., R.C.P.(B.) in which he reported the signing of an armistice agreement with Japan on July 15. A special protocol signed by the representatives of the F.-E.R. and Japan stated that the best way of establishing peace in the Far East was the creation of a buffer state based on democratic principles, under a single government to be formed at a conference attended by representatives from all the regions of the territory. It was in connection with this conference that Krasnoshchokov asked Lenin for urgent replies to the questions raised in his telegram.
 The Four-pointer—abbreviated name for the democratic four-point electoral system, namely: universal, equal and direct suffrage and secret ballot.
 This probably means securing a majority for Communists in democratic state institutions.