MIA: Encyclopedia of Marxism: Glossary of Places
A city in SW Byelorussia. Formerly Polish, the city was taken by the expanding Russian imperium in 1795. In 1917 the city was occupied by Germany, and later held a peace negotiation between the Soviet government and Germany (See: Treaty of Brest-Litovsk). In 1921 the Soviet government gave the Western portion of Byleorussia to Poland, including the city of Brest-Litovsk. Poland renamed the city Brzes'c' nad Bugiem, but kept the city only until 1945, when Byleorus expanded its' borders once again. Since 1945 the city has been a part of Byelorussia, now named Brest, with a population of 240,000 people (1987).