First published in part in 1945 in Lenin Miscellany XXXV.
Published in full in 1965 in Collected Works, Fifth (Russian) Ed,, Vol. 52.
Printed from a typewritten text with Lenin’s corrections, additions and signature.
Source: Lenin Collected Works, Progress Publishers, 1976, Moscow, Volume 45, pages 148-149a.
Translated: Yuri Sdobnikov
Transcription\Markup: R. Cymbala
Public Domain: Lenin Internet Archive You may freely copy, distribute, display and perform this work; as well as make derivative and commercial works. Please credit “Marxists Internet Archive” as your source. • README
Assignment to Comrade Smolyaninov,
Assistant Business Manager of the C.P.C. and the C.L.D.
1) Keep in touch with regional economic conferences and follow their work from the telegrams, material and minutes coming in from them, informing the C.L.D. Chairman at regular intervals about the results of their work and their fulfilment of C.L.D. assignments, and also giving them, with Comrade Lenin’s knowledge or by agreement with the People’s Commissariats concerned, explanations or instructions on any questions that may arise.
2) Look through the minutes and material of gubernia economic conferences from the standpoint of verification of execution of C.L.D. resolutions and general directives, closely following the work of the most important and typical gubernia economic conferences, a list of which is to be submitted for Comrade Lenin’s approval.
3) Keep in touch with the work of the collegium of economic People’s Commissariats, Gosplan and planning commissions, set up by C.L.D. decision.
4) Follow the country’s economic life from newspapers, reports and special publications by economic and statistical bodies.
5) Follow the actual execution of the most important decisions and assignments of the C.L.D., and report on this to Comrade Lenin.
6) Carry out special assignments from the C.L.D. Chairman and the C.P.C. business manager on economic, administration and production matters.
7) Put the final touches to economic, administration and production questions coming up for the C.L.D. agenda, which are not sufficiently well prepared.
8) On your own initiative, with Comrade Lenin’s consent, prepare and raise through the appropriate People’s Commissariats or through the C.L.D. directly, the questions which arise from the material studied.
To enable Comrade Smolyaninov to carry out these assignments, all correspondence, whether telegraphic or postal, from regional economic councils and gubernia conferences, must be delivered directly to Comrade Smolyaninov, who will then make the necessary reports to Comrade Lenin.
Secretary of the C.P.C. and the C.L.D. shall carry on correspondence with the regional councils and gubernia conferences only in co-ordination with Comrade Smolyaninov, with the exception of notifications of C.P.C. and C.L.D. decisions^ which are executed by the secretariat directly. C.L.D. agenda shall be circulated among C.L.D. members only after Comrade Smolyaninov has seen it.
V. Ulyanov (Lenin)
Chairman, C.P.C., and C.L.D.
Added to § 3; “Gosplan”.
Add § 9: “Have regular consultations with the editor of Ekonomicheskaya Zhizn for the purpose of fully co-ordinating its work with that of the C.L.D.”
19/V.1921. V. Ulyanov (Lenin)
NB: Insert a short note on this in Ekonomicheskaya Zhizn.
 The word “Gosplan” is in Lenin’s hand.—Ed.
 The document is also signed by N. P. Gorbunov, C.P.C. business manager.—Ed.
 The text from the word “Added” to the end is in Lenin’s hand.— Ed. —Lenin