MIA: Encyclopedia of Marxism: Glossary of Periodicals



Neue Rheinische Zeitung

New Rhenish Gazette, Organ of Democracy ("Organ der Demokratie")

"Those were such revolutionary times, and at such times it is a pleasure to work in the daily press. One sees for oneself the effect of every word, one sees one's articles strike like hand-grenades and explode like fired shells."

Frederick Engels

The Neue Rheinische Zeitung was a daily paper published in Cologne between June 1 1848 and May 19 1849. As implied by its name, it was envisioned to continue the tradition of the Rheinische Zeitung – which Marx edited in 1842 and 1843.

The Neue Rheinische Zeitung, despite its regional name, considered its audience to be all of Germany – beyond the Rhine Province (which centred on Cologne). During April/May 1848, Marx and Engels raised funds for it by selling shares, while drumming up talented correspondents and establishing contacts with democratic periodicals in other countries.

The paper would ultimately be shut down in 1849 by an act of Prussian censorship. The last issue was printed entirely in red ink, see Karl Marx's last article for the newspaper: Suppression of the Neue Rheinische Zeitung.


Statement from the editorial board of the Neue Rheinische Zeitung
upon the publication of the first issue (Written May 31, 1848)

"Originally the date of publication of the Neue Rheinische Zeitung was to be the first of July, and arrangements with correspondents, etc., were made with that date in view.

"But since the brazen attitude reassumed by the reactionaries foreshadows the enactment of German September Laws in the near future, we have decided to make use of every available day and to publish the paper as from June the first. Our readers will therefore have to bear with us if during the first days we cannot offer so wide a variety of news and reports as our widespread connections should enable us to do. In a few days we shall be able to satisfy all requirements in this respect too.

Editorial Board:
Editor-in-Chief: Karl Marx
Editors: Heinrich Burgers, Ernst Dronke, Friedrich Engels, Georg Weerth, Ferdinand Wolff, Wilhelm Wolff

See also: Articles by Karl Marx and Frederick Engels in the Neue Rheinische Zeitung


Neue Zeit (Stuttgart 1883-1923)

Die Neue Zeit [Stuttgart] was a magazine – the theoretical organ of German Social-Democratic Workers’ Party, published in Stuttgart from 1883 to 1923.

In World War I the journal took a centrist stand.

The journal was edited by K. Kautsky from its creation until October 1917, and then by H. Cunow. Some of the writings of the founders of Marxism were first published in this journal, among them K. Marx’s Critique of the Gotha Programme and Engels’s “Criticism of the Draft Social-Democratic Programme of 1891.” Other prominent leaders of the German and international labour movement who contributed to the journal at the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries were A. Bebel, K. Kautsky, W. Liebknecht, R. Luxemburg, F. Mehring, Clara Zetkin, G. V. Plekhanov and P. Lafargue.

Beginning with the late nineties, the journal raised controversy by publishing articles by revisionists, including a series of articles by E. Bernstein “Problems of Socialism.” During World War I the journal took a centrist stand.


The New Review (1913-1917)

This journal’s purpose was make known “the intellectual achievements of Marx and his successors” to the “awakened, self-conscious proletariat on the toilsome road that leads to its emancipation.” In practice, it proved to be a theoretical magazine by intellectuals, for intellectuals. This was in 1913. Never intending to be ideologically homogeneous, the trend of The New Review over the three-and-a-half years of its existence was from Center to Left. The magazine was active in attempting to make sense of the hot button issues of syndicalism and mass action in 1913, maintaining a sympathetic posture. It provided a forum for the writing of two of the principals of left wing New York literary-artistic magazine “The Masses,” Max Eastman and Floyd Dell. It dealt extensively with the issues of feminism, American intervention in Mexico, the growth of militarism, and the role of the International Socialist movement in the war.

See Archive

Collection digitized by Marty Goodman, MD, Riazanov Library Project


New International (and New Internationalist) (1917-1918)

This was the first overly pro-communist journal inspired by the Bolshevik wing of the February Revolution in Russia in March of 1917. Representing the views of the, Socialist Propaganda League of America, a wing of the increasingly pro-Bolshevik Left-Wing of the Socialist Party, this journal was edited by Louis C. Fraina. It merged into other more overtly pro-Communist journals in 1918.

See Archive

Collection digitized by Marty Goodman, MD, Riazanov Library Project


New Justice (1919-1920)

Short lived revolutionary communist journal published by the Friends of the Russian Revolution out of Los Angeles. Like many soon-to-be communist journals that sprung up on an ad-hoc basis by left wing members of the Socialist Party of America and IWW, this journal lasted less than and year and was folded into other communist periodicals of the Communist movement founded in 1919.

See Archive

Collection digitized by Marty Goodman, MD, Riazanov Library Project


New Majority, The (1923)

The New Majority was published by the Chicago Federation of Labor as the organ of the Federated Farmer-Labor Party in the United States. The Party was target of a takeover by the new Workers (Communist) Party it was basically destroyed by this internecine battle between the unionists of the CFL and the WP.

See Archive

Collection digitized by Marty Goodman, MD, Riazanov Library Project


New Masses

Continuation of Workers Monthly representing the same political line of that of the Communist Party USA and the artists sensibilities of the art of Masses, The Liberator and Workers Monthly.

See Archive

Collection digitized by Marty Goodman, MD, Riazanov Library Project


Newsletter, The (1956-1969)

London: Published by the Socialist Labour League (Gerry Healy, Mike Banda etc.) from 1956 until 1969, when it was replaced by the daily Workers Press. Initially weekly, then bi-weekly. Published as a broadsheet for most of its existence.

See Archive

Collection digitized by Marty Goodman, MD, Riazanov Library Project


New York Daily Tribune

An American newspaper published from 1841 to 1924. Until the middle eighteen fifties it was the organ of the Left wing of the American Whigs, and thereafter the organ of the Republican Party. Karl Marx contributed to the paper from August 1851 to March 1862, and at his request Frederick Engels wrote numerous articles for it. During the period of reaction that set in Europe, Karl Marx and Frederick Engels used this widely circulated, and at that time progressive, newspaper to publish concrete material exposing the failings of capitalist society.

During the American Civil War Marx's contributions to the newspaper stopped. His break with The New York Daily Tribune was largely due to the growing influence on the editorial board of the advocates of compromise with the slave-owners, and the papers's departure from progressive positions.